Monday, February 10, 2014

[Product Review] Sony's MDR-ZX300 headphones.

Are you looking for a new pair of budget headphones? Maybe you need something for gaming or just listening to music, well today I am going to be talking about and reviewing my personal suggestion, Sony's budget headphones, the MDR-ZX300. I'll do my best to list both the pro's, con's, and some extra tidbits about these headphones to hopefully help you make an educated purchase for your price range. Now, I am by no means an audio expert, and I have not compared these to professional headphones or used them in a professional set up, these are my first real pair of headphones, and before them I used several different pairs of ear-buds.



Now that we got the introduction out of the way, I'd like to state that you should not let the term "budget" turn you off from these. I'm simply saying they can be found very cheaply, not that they are made cheaply. In fact, they feel and sound far from it. When compared to my old Skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 earbuds, they sound much crisper and cleaner, while sounding slightly louder. Also, they will come to you slightly small, but don't let that worry you. I myself have a slightly large head, and the headphones ended up stretching out and now fit very nicely on my big head. Here is a pretty good breakdown of the headphones:

Pros-
- you can find them for around $20 on amazon, and occasionally even lower on eBay.
-the pads are very comfortable on the headphones. Very soft, cushion-y and don't grab the skin at all.
-nice crisp sound
-pretty amazing range
-great volume
-headband eventually bends to better fit your head
-sleek design that doesn't feel bulky

Cons-
-no real grip to them, they easily fall off your head if your hair is silky/smooth
-the cord is kind of short in my opinion, they could of extended it by maybe a foot or two

Extra tidbits-
-the cable's connector has an "L" shape to it, which is nice on a laptop, but a bit frustrating on other devices at times. It also helps reduce stress on the cord's connector to hopefully help extend its life.
-they seem durable as well, I've dropped them a few times (by accident) at anywhere between three to five feet, they don't seem to care much.
-although I complain about a short cord, it is nice for if you're using it with a laptop and smartphone.

And with that breakdown, there you go. I hope those bits and bites help you form an educated decision on if these headphones are for you(if you want something for casual daily use, you really should give them a shot).

Here is a link to their amazon page for further investigation. However, you can usually find it slightly cheaper(like maybe four to five bucks cheaper) on eBay during certain times of the year, I snagged mine for around $15 with free shipping. These are worth every penny, hell, I'd personally be willing to pay $35 for a product of this quality. Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment